Those of us who brought you the Chicago Filipino American Film Festival have redirected our efforts to collaborating with the Foundation for Asian American Independent Media and the Chicago Asian American Showcase.
The Showcase, held annually at the Gene Siskel Film Center is now in its 19th year of operation.
This year, we’ve helped to bring two great works from Filipino American filmmakers to the Showcase.
Gene Siskel Film Center, School of the Art Institute of Chicago, 164 N. State Street, Chicago, IL 60601
AWESOME ASIAN BAD GUYS
Patrick Epino and Stephen Dypiangco— known on YouTube as the National Film Society aim their offbeat brand of comedy at 80s and 90s popular action movies, alongside a rogue’s gallery of iconic screen villains including Al Leong (Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure) and Yuji Okumoto (Karate Kid II). Also starring Tamlyn Tomita and Dante Basco (Hook, The Debut). Director Patrick Epino and Dante Basco will be in attendance.
Sun, Apr 6th at 5:00pm
Jose Antonio Vargas, a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist, took a stand on immigrant rights when he revealed in an article in the Washington Post that he was an undocumented immigrant– smuggled into the U.S. from the Philippines when he was 12 years old. The film Documented chronicles his transformation from journalist to activist, and his ongoing struggle to gain the right to live in the nation that he calls home, while helping others in the Dream movement to do the same.
Sun, Apr 13th at 5:15pm
Other festival highlights include:
– CAMBODIAN SON, a documentary about spoken word performer Kosal Khiev by local filmmaker Masahiro Sugano. Sat, Apr 5th at 8:15pm
– THE HAUMANA, a narrative film directed by Keo Woolford, star of the classic 1993 short “Mahal Means Love and Expensive.” Mon, Apr 7th at 7:45pm
– AMERICAN REVOLUTIONARY: THE EVOLUTION OF GRACE LEE BOGGS, a biography of Chinese American civil rights activist Grace Lee Boggs. Sat, Apr 12th at 8:00pm
– TO BE TAKEI, a documentary about activist, social media icon, and Star Trek star, George Takei. Mon, Apr 14th at 8:00pm
– A PICTURE OF YOU, a narrative feature directed by J.P. Chan and produced by past CFAFF filmmaker Yasmine Gomez. Thu, Apr 17th at 8:15pm